Recently on my mind: Dun lose weight.

Previous Posts

Archives

More Bloggers


My CaReLeSs WhIsPeR-Think UNIT TRUST, Think Agnes

Sunday, November 07, 2004
O.C.B.C. aka Banana
I got the nexus newsletter the other day when I went to campus. There's this one article about being an OCBC (org cina bukan cina). Banana, white on the inside and yellow on the outside.

English is my mother tongue. I grew up speaking English with my parents; simple Mandarin with my grandmother; BM with my mom's side grandparents. I'm not really a banana though I was like one, back in standard 1. I din know wat the teacher was talking about, she asked the class a question, some of them raised their hands, some didn't. Some damn blur, din have a clue on what was happening~ me for example hahahha! The teacher was juz speaking the Mandarin that wasn't up to my standard, I guess :-)

Slowly, I started to pick up. Supposedly I was to study in IJC, but my parents later thought that it's better for me to get enrolled in a Chinese school, since they are already English-ed.

NDC vs IJC vs MGS. NDC would say IJC and MGS gals are all bananas, OCBC, then they'd say we can't speak a proper line of english hahahah :P

Being a banana, unfortunately does have its disadvantages. One new thing I was being enlighten of early this year, and was kinda shocked to hear was that banana kenot go for chinese new year concert coz they can't understand wat the performers were trying to present. Kesian!

The author too mentioned that he has to cross out gals who speak exclusively Mandarin from his list of potential partners. Y'know..once, I asked one fren of mine to go yamcha, then when she found out that she has to communicate with my other frens in english, she went smth like " Ar? Bu yao la, jiang ying wen de.." ( translation: " Ar dun wan lar, speak english wan" ) Haii~~

There's absolutely nothing wrong for not being able to communicate in mandarin. Well, my dad's mandarin has improved over the years. My mom too, she can understand simple ones, so sometimes if I wanna tell my sis something over the dinner table, things that I dun wan my mom to know, I convey it in Cantonese. That wan confirm she won't understand a word hahahaha. I'm not a Cantonese la, anyway gua ni kan, so proud to be a half nyonya hehehe.

*Whiper of the day : It's never too late to start learning a language you think is important, it's the determination that counts :-)

Post a Comment